Sunday, 13 October 2013

11th October 2013

It has been a very positive week at Winston, as two appointments have been made to the teaching team; one in Science and the other in the Drama Department.  We look forward to our new colleagues joining us in the near future.  The 'Effective Homework' evening which Mr Phillips organised and which was aimed at our students for whom we receive Pupil Premium Funding, proved to be very successful, as well as entertaining.  Key messages revolved around that 'can do' approach and how to break down large volumes of information into manageable segments.
Students, staff and parents are all talking about possible changes to the school day.  Work has only just begun and I will keep you up-to-date with the progress being made.  All partners will be consulted, including the Parental Forum.  I am sure everyone will have a view, the aim is to structure a day that will facilitate effective teaching and learning, as well as introducing a little more time for communication.
I have enjoyed visiting our local primary schools to talk about how we can work together to support students as they move into the secondary sector.