Monday, 15 November 2021

Alice

 'Alice' by Year 11

On Friday 5th November, a team of remarkably talented students at The Winston Churchill School performed their own production. The show, titled 'Alice', was created, written and directed by a core leadership team of year 11 students. 
Since their return from lockdown, those involved in the show have strived to manage their own rehearsal time as well as writing and polishing each scene. Their efforts finally culminated in a single night performance on bonfire night which left a reduced audience on their feet in a full standing ovation. 

For those of you who have been involved in the inner workings of a performance before, it is easy to convey the scope of these student's achievement. Thousands of hours spent by pupils from each year group has been spent planning, budgeting, programming lights, building set, sourcing props, sewing costume, marketing and carefully mixing sound all while leading the rehearsal process itself. 
Evie (year 11) a director said, "the skills that I have picked up along the way will undoubtedly influence the work I hope to produce in the future." 
Jess (year 11) responsible for concept Art, design and direction stated, "One of the most precious and memorable moments for me throughout the rehearsal process, was planning and creating the set, and watching it come to life with the help of the outstanding actors and actresses. This has surely been an experience I will never forget." 



As a teacher, I have been astounded by the level of professionalism and motivation displayed by each student involved in the show. Not only have they shown unmatched level of dedication but also created a piece of art they can be proud of. I hope they inspire other students across the school to realise what is possible when they put their mind to something. 

Todd Harrington-Tucker

English and Drama Teacher

Deputy Year Leader (Year 8)