Friday, 4 November 2022

Cracking the Code

  Bletchley Park

I really enjoyed my time at Bletchley Park. It was very cool to see the very start of computing. I found Colossus and the Bombe intriguing, and I found it very interesting how they worked and were used for decrypting. Another thing that also caught my attention was how much progress we have made in terms of the size of storage devices and the amount of storage in them compared to now, because it used to be that you could fit a couple megabyte in a very large storage device, but now we can fit terabytes into storage devices half the size of the originals. My favourite part of the trip, however, was coding a game of snake on the BBC software on the old computers because it was fun to see how coding started and how it has changed today, and how a simple few line of code can make an interesting game. All in all, Bletchley Park was an amazing place to visit, and I would recommend it to anyone considering the trip in the future. 

Sam  



"During my visit to The National Museum of Computing, we were shown how technology has evolved through time. From the very earliest computers, all the way up to today's technology. My personal favourite exhibition was when we hopped onto some computers from the 80s and actually tried them for ourselves. We were shown how to make a game in BASIC. Overall, the trip was a great experience." 

 

Eashaan 



Bletchley Park trip's Turing test: 

 

This is what I enjoyed the most about the Bletchley Park trip: 

I enjoyed the Turing test the most because I found it interesting because we had to try guess if the machine we were talking to was someone in the room or the computer. It showed us that computers may not be as smart as us because they cannot express emotion as humans can.  


Courtney 


 

Bletchley Park trip's BBC micros: 

 

"The activity I enjoyed most at Bletchley Park was when we got the opportunity to program snake games on the BBC Micros from the 1980s by following the various coding guides. They were similar to computers we use in many ways but different in others such as the lack of a computer mouse, so it was definitely interesting to learn how this piece of technology worked. If you completed your game, you could even turn you guide over and learn how to make obstacles." 

 

Kian