Wednesday, 14 May 2025

The Battlefields Trip

 Winston Remembers

From the 2nd May to the 4th May, 79 Year 9 pupils attended the History Battlefields trip to Belgium and France. Pupils have studied various aspects of WWI during Year 9 and the trip provided pupils with context and a first-hand experience on what it was like to serve and live through the war.
Pupils had a packed three-day itinerary combining visits to the Ypres Salient and Somme Region. Day One, included a  visit to Passchendaele New British Cemetery and Tyne Cot, the largest Commonwealth war graves cemetery. Followed by an afternoon visit to Flanders Field Museum and a highlight for both staff and pupils a quick stop at a Belgian chocolate shop.
Saturday was spent visiting various sites and memorials in the Somme region of France. Including a network of underground tunnels at Wellington Quarry, tunnelled by British and New Zealand forces in 1917. This was followed by a tour of two Canadian memorial parks, Newfoundland and Vimy Ridge. Then a visit to the largest manmade crater of WWI, Lochnager. The day ended with a return to Ypres town centre, where three Winston pupils, Amelie, Jairaj and Charlie participated in the Last Post ceremony; laying a wreath at the Menin Gate, an act of remembrance that has taken place since 1928. 
The final day students returned to sites associated with the Ypres Salient. Including a tour of a preserved German trench at Bayernwald, the German cemetery Langemark and Essex Farm Cemetery, which is the site Canadian soldier John McCrae wrote the famous ‘In Flanders Field’ poem. The trip ended with Lijssenthoek Cemetery a site which highlights the scale of the war, containing the graves of French, German, US and Commonwealth soldiers. Along with Chinese Labour Corps and Staff Nurse Nellie Spindler.
Throughout the trip students conducted themselves brilliantly. Showing respect, responsibility and engaging with each activity. We were very proud of them and hope they enjoyed the trip! 



Below are some comments from students who attended the trip: 
'It was such a  good experience…thank you for the amazing opportunity and allowing me to thank the soldiers who fought’ – Jairaj
‘I loved the trip so much. I thought it was very interesting and exciting. I enjoyed being able to see all the significant places from WWI, and it has really helped me understand more about the war. Thank you for such an amazing trip I am very grateful’ – Madison
‘It was the best way for me to reflect on the impact of the war and how many soldiers were in the war’ – Max
'I really enjoyed the trip; I have to say that my favourite part of the trip was probably when we went to Wellington Quarry. I liked seeing the daily life of the tunnellers’ – Ariana
‘Thank you so much for the trip. I really enjoyed it and it will be a once in a lifetime experience’ – Mahd
‘The trip was amazing. I enjoyed looking at the memorials of the soldiers, trenches and what it was like for the soldiers. It was very influential and made me think about the war in more detail’ – Jasmine


Miss Robinson
Deputy Head History