Here's a little look at Christmas in the Library...
A firm festive favourite returning this year is the Not So Secret Santa where staff choose a book from the Library to recommend. The book is then wrapped and a tag written to give brief clue about the book. Students can choose to loan these books out for the holidays and unwrap them at home for a reading surprise this Christmas. As they do every year, they went almost straight away and I had to re-stock! There are still a couple of wrapped books remaining - I wonder what books are hiding inside!
This year, we've also got the addition of the 14 Books of Christmas, our version of an advent calendar. Each school day in December, a new book is revealed that the students can check out. Most days' books are also available as e-books and so the 14 Books of Christmas can also be found on Frog! Some of the books revealed so far have been The Light in Everything by Katya Balen, a quick read version of A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens and the adapted-for-younger-readers edition of Becoming by Michelle Obama.
Get down to the Library to see the last few days of the calendar revealed!
The new snow-covered tree is up and on it, are tiny versions of some of our favourite book covers. Can you spot your favourite? I've filled the displays with a selection of interesting reads, both longer and shorter books perfect for cosying up with a hot drink over the festive holidays. Make sure you've chosen your book for over the holidays or renewed your current read.
Today I am popping in to celebration assemblies to hand out awards and prizes for 2 things; student who has borrowed the most books and tutor group with the most borrowed books. I am always delighted to present these awards for such fabulous engagement with reading so well done to those students. We have issued over 3400 books in the Library in 2023, so a huge well done to all students for their engagement with reading this year, and I can't wait to see this continue in 2024. Can we beat the record?!
I hope everyone has a fantastic festive period and enjoys a restful break. Keep reading, and I can't wait to welcome everyone back to the Library in the New Year.
Mrs M Jones
Discovery Space Manager


